Saturday, November 27, 2010

The best communion/relationship/connection is not found in the glamor, but in the normal.

I'm all over the place tonight...

Today... actually yesterday now... was "national cake day," and I'm sad that I didn't involve myself in any festivities involving cake. I had some apple pie, which is always a treat for those days following Thanksgiving, but not cake. Had I been aware that this was a day for cake, I would've chosen between red velvet and chocolate with vanilla frosting, but I missed my chance. There will be others, I'm sure...

One thing I'm pleased to have taken part in over the last few days was that always-present Thanksgiving reminder... to be thankful for something. Every year of accumulated life experience creates a greater appreciation for blessings. Blessings of community, family, health, met needs, and potential. I’m learning so much right now, but more than a gaining of more facts, I’m learning about the reality of a God who pursues. This is what has been on my mind more than anything else over this season of thankfulness.

Having had the chance to look at Luke 15 quite a bit this past month, I’ll admit, it can be very easy for me to question the “fairness” of grace. It certainly seems like some people get it all, and maybe I’ve missed my chance to rebel. Isn’t that the story of the older brother? I am learning about my own brokenness, my own need, and the unique way in which I run from my Creator, and yet He continues to pursue. I wish I would grow up already. I wish I didn’t mess up all the time. I wish I could get to the point where I would stay in the right frame of mind, but from time to time, I’m out of my mind. And yet He continues to pursue. I’m so very consistent in so many ways, but in my own pursuit of God, I am so inconsistent. I am either hot, cold, or lukewarm, but constantly fickle. And yet He continues to pursue.

What do you say about that kind of love? What should I say? I’m a little bit limited in my own knowledge of love, and I think I’ve seen enough to know what love isn’t. I know that feelings change. I know that my lack of consistency can be blamed on an emotion-motivated existence. While I don’t want to speak for all of humanity, I think it’s safe to say that, for most people, emotions are not limited to mere highs and lows, but can venture as far as present and not present. Some more than others are said to be "emotional people," but we can all relate to such extremes, despite how readily we express those extremes. Most people claim love – in their families, friends, romances – but life happens and that “love” becomes something else or it becomes nothing – or maybe it was something else or nothing all along. Are we not all a little bit broken, a little off?

So what do I have to say about the kind of love that maintains, the kind of love that surpasses whatever emotions are current, the kind of love that overlooks brokenness and flaw, the kind of love that does not expect anything returned? I’m wondering if there has ever been a love that was anything else.

No comments: